- @JezzabelleNFC Yes, best to state you don't need them before I can make it to the workshop. X3 in reply to JezzabelleNFC 00:01:49, 2010-08-31
- Okay, the liabilities thing doesn't work. It outputs negative numbers. Shifted them to Expenses again. 00:59:46, 2010-08-31
- What on earth is this vagina-duster thing? http://www.bondara.co.uk/vibrators/g-spot-vibrators/740/vibrator.html 01:50:08, 2010-08-31
- Awake again. The new business accounts seem done. Don't think I missed anything. The numbers are interesting. 12:56:31, 2010-08-31
- Comparing old and new, it seems I've made about the same in the last 2 years as the last 5 months. That can't be right. 12:57:21, 2010-08-31
- I mean, I know things are picking up, but that's pretty extreme. 12:57:47, 2010-08-31
- It's probably in part due to the old records being flawed in layout. But fixing them too would take approx a fortnight of solid work. 12:59:43, 2010-08-31
- New blog post: Star Trek meets Firefly http://www.sci-fi-fox.com/?p=352 14:26:09, 2010-08-31
- New blog post: Writing: Disposable FTL premise http://www.sci-fi-fox.com/?p=356 15:51:34, 2010-08-31
- Hell with it. I need coffee if I'm going to get the rest of stuff done tonight. 20:03:56, 2010-08-31
- @Lizardbeth That's why I don't link mine. It's old and contains peen. XD I must draw a new one. in reply to Lizardbeth 20:14:05, 2010-08-31
- Between Ibuprofen and coffee, getting into the final push of activity for the night. 20:48:24, 2010-08-31
- I like coffee. Coffee doesn't like my guts. 21:11:50, 2010-08-31
- Wondering if a debris suction line would double as an extractor line? Thinking probably, but would make for a very noisy extractor. 23:52:39, 2010-08-31
The matte funnel-shaped device sat dead out in front of the ship while it’s backdrop of stars spun around and around. The ship was spinning up for jump gyro-stabilisation. Putting the spin on the ship was the only way of keeping the course at FTL speed reasonably straight. The slightest discrepancy in mass had lead to the early Hoppers being flung wildly off their path, tumbling and tearing themselves apart. It was far more reliable to rifle the ship for handling the unpredictable gravitational eddies that buffeted the ships protective field as it hit midpoint.
The rest of the crew had all headed off to their duty stations now, or secured themselves for flight. A few hours ago the observation deck had been packed in nervous silence as the updates had trickled over the intercom. People were attentive as one of the Pinches had been unloaded from the rack, and watched with silent fear as it had been fuelled up with antimatter. The SS Boseman had been lost that way; a slight fluctuation in the magnetic containment of the transfer line. A single atom tearing the line open, obliterating the ship. The “Black Bit” quantum-entanglement data feed told mission control everything.
At one point the ensign had halted his words for a second, and the whole room had bodily stiffened to a fearful acceptance that death was an instant away.
But now it was out there. In a few minutes time the antimatter would annihilate with it’s matter half, destroying the intensely charged field coils and creating a precisely focussed funnel of gravitational energy, pulling two distant points in space together for a few seconds.
Hundreds of sensors had us placed to within fractions of a millimetre of our set distance from the Pinch device. Close enough to be pulled into the correct portion of the gradient, far enough away not to be destroyed by the radiation blast or it’s monatomic debris. If the dispersing field around the ship didn’t fail, it would still overload at the other end, with the rhythmic popping of capacitor banks being jettisoned before they too exploded. And with luck we would find ourselves within 5 Au of our destination, still with enough time to correct for insertion into the target star-system. If not, then we’d have to pick another system and try another Hop. These things don’t work for short journeys yet.
Hopping so far in an instant only to spend the following couple of years coasting on the final leg seems an insult to some. Trust me that you need that rest to regain your witts. But it’s still a better option than spending an extra 70 years coming the scenic route, or arriving too close to correct your delta-V and passing right past your target.
The blast shields are closing. Next the forward 30 decks will be evacuated of personnel and air. The magic time’s coming up fast now. Wish us luck!
Last year I think it was, someone suggested that the USA could soon use a “Z-pinch” device to create the needed energy gradients to allow a spacecraft to exceed the speed of light.
Aside from the frankly terrifying thought of interstellar expansion being sponsored by Starbucks and Disney, it’s a nice idea. But you still need a power source.
In Star Trek the whole ship’s powered by a massive anti-matter reactor. Oh, it has several small fusion power sources dotted around the ship, including some dedicated for the Impulse Engines if I remember rightly. Yet the anti-matter plant, the “warp core”, runs 24/7. Before this gets too long-winded, I have trouble with how much power the ship requires. Okay, the warp drive bends space-time to extreme degrees, the transporters are essentially managing very controlled atomic annihilation and reconstruction, the replicators also do the matter-energy conversion as does the holodeck to some degree. It’s quite frivolous, but expected in an apparently “free energy” future.
Within our lifetimes though, the economy of having a sustained annihilation reaction seems questionable. However if I understand it, the Z-pinch concept is to create a sudden burst of energy, that would somehow flip the vessel across great distances. To be able to do that continually would need something like the Trek reactor. But since the Pinch seems to be a one-shot concept, you’d only need a single burst of energy.
Antimatter is a terrible thing, and controlling such a fundamentally unstable substance would be very tricky. However it does go bang very nicely. So if you need a sudden intense burst of power, such as for energising a Z-pinch device (possibly explosively in a similar method to an EMP device*) then a bottle of antimatter may be just the battery you require.
I recall hearing that the interstellar engine on Serenity, in Joss Whedon’s Firefly, was planned to be the sort of drive that wasn’t casually used, but that everyone held on for dear life and hoped it wouldn’t explode when turned on.
An annihilation-powered-Z-pinch would probably be a similar, terrifying experience.
* I wonder if any sci-fi writers have yet considered the use of a one-shot disposable FTL drive?
- Reformatting taking a long time. Still making blank account. Debating if losses should be Expenses or Liabilities? 00:24:56, 2010-08-30
- Loss of material, stock or equipment would have to be accounted from their fields under expenses. So should loss be another expense account? 00:27:50, 2010-08-30
- Liabilities are outstanding holes in resources, so a stolen tool or T-shirt (for example) would seem to fit that description. Will think on. 00:29:50, 2010-08-30
- Wanted sales by venue type & product type. Not possible in gnucash though. Will rely on inventory database for that. 03:22:32, 2010-08-30
- I'd like to see a parody of the Microsoft "info overload" adverts where everyone joins in and they all end up doing the Thriller dance. 14:34:14, 2010-08-30
- 2 hours in and I've transcribed about 3 days worth of business accounts. 18:02:42, 2010-08-30
- @furaffinity Awesome, got done with my notes just in time then! in reply to furaffinity 20:22:07, 2010-08-30
- Phew! Paypal portion of the account transcription is done. Next up: current account and petty cash account. 20:23:20, 2010-08-30
- Strictly speaking, petty cash isn't the right term. Hmm. 20:24:08, 2010-08-30
- Ah, just "cash". Durr. 20:48:20, 2010-08-30
- I have 500g of happiness. Best Buy lasagne. 20:55:13, 2010-08-30
- @JezzabelleNFC D'awww :3 in reply to JezzabelleNFC 21:11:42, 2010-08-30
- @JezzabelleNFC No one ever makes cybernetic toes, do they? :( in reply to JezzabelleNFC 23:25:42, 2010-08-30
- Go rent "Fortress" now. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/24/l-a-jail-tests-intolerable-heat-beam-on-brawling-inmates/ 13:25:12, 2010-08-29
- Awesome, I can open two instances of GnuCash at once. I need to transcribe & reformat 5 months of records to a fresh book. 15:33:48, 2010-08-29
- Also teaching myself OpenOffice Base this weekend. Going fine so far. Making up list of fields I will need to incorporate into inventory. 15:35:06, 2010-08-29
- Have made an interesting variant on leeks in cheese sauce. Should be good once grilled. 16:59:58, 2010-08-29
- @karaspita Thankyou, that's a very informative link. :) in reply to karaspita 17:02:00, 2010-08-29
- @Fatkraken It's ok, I'm stuffed full of amazing chicken! in reply to Fatkraken 19:44:30, 2010-08-29
- Just ordered the prototype vibration module parts for "Project Harmony", the open-source dildo idea. 21:53:05, 2010-08-29
- @Blue_moon_lady Very. My brother put lemon zest and butter under the skin. in reply to Blue_moon_lady 21:55:31, 2010-08-29
- Okay, finances, then business finances, then databases. 22:00:22, 2010-08-29
- Diversion. Possibly found suitable purple plastic for Quarian mask. http://www.stickybackplastic.co.uk/coloured-films-27.htm 22:42:55, 2010-08-29
- Oooh, they do silver-tint too. As an under-layer, that would pair up well. Back to work now tho. 22:45:32, 2010-08-29