- Feeling shaky. Like, body tremors. Might be low on food. Gonna buy new filters for breathing mask just in case anyway. D: 00:12:56, 2010-07-31
- Spicey sausage, half a 500ml pot of yogurt, some yellow dates, and a cup of tea. Phew.. 00:24:52, 2010-07-31
- Getting some metalic pigment off ebay too. Looks super-fine, so won't settle out too fast? Will try different ratios when it arrives. 00:32:28, 2010-07-31
- Hour and a half drawing in the A3 pad. Drew a friend of mine. One of them hyoo-mon thingies. 02:02:29, 2010-07-31
- Facebook is at least good for photo-refs of folk. 02:02:51, 2010-07-31
- Bed time now. 02:02:57, 2010-07-31
- @warrenellis Good morning Warren, your website's broken. Fridays links respawning every hour on the hour. in reply to warrenellis 12:48:22, 2010-07-31
- @warrenellis Well if something's gonna break, least it breaks like clockwork. in reply to warrenellis 14:12:40, 2010-07-31
- The 2nd beer is done, ready to make some horrific robot puppies out of. 14:13:09, 2010-07-31
- Now I just need to dress as a walrus and handle some hazardous chemical resins. 14:14:03, 2010-07-31
- Today already sounds a lot more interesting than it actually has been. On the upside though, I drew a butt. 14:14:46, 2010-07-31
- Met with 'Kast in town this morning. Quick drinkie, then shops. New sketchpads and tailors scissors. A3 pad FTW! <3 16:48:59, 2010-07-30
- @Pinkyfennec There's software plugins for recording Skype convos, but they cost money & don't do video. Proprietary recording format too. in reply to Pinkyfennec 17:02:50, 2010-07-30
- Some food shopping I think. Necessary. Want to draw before more casting tonight. 17:03:55, 2010-07-30
- @vonslatt Thankyou, this will add a whole new level to the evangelical scenes in Blues Brothers. Testify! <3 in reply to vonslatt 17:05:56, 2010-07-30
- @pandalion I think I shall draw some people in it. :3 in reply to pandalion 17:48:07, 2010-07-30
- I thought a lot about hips today, specifically in profile. Think I've nailed down a few key ratios. Thinking of flash game to harvest data. 18:03:33, 2010-07-30
- Picked up a couple of 330ml cans of Heineken. Gonna make Keg-9 some puppies. 20:03:21, 2010-07-30
- Grrr, fucking bid snipers. Lost by 50p. 20:59:45, 2010-07-30
- I know I've said just put your top bid in from the start, but I fumbled hitting the keypad. >_< 21:12:19, 2010-07-30
- @GraafenBlackpaw Was actually going to ask you if you know campsite where open fires are ok, with forresty stuff. :D in reply to GraafenBlackpaw 00:02:41, 2010-07-29
- @GraafenBlackpaw Location and cost? :3 in reply to GraafenBlackpaw 00:11:24, 2010-07-29
- @GraafenBlackpaw Might be hard to get to for some. Any more southerly options too? in reply to GraafenBlackpaw 00:23:46, 2010-07-29
- @GraafenBlackpaw Booking few months in advance, £21 train fare each way. 4hrs on train with a dead pig & many bottles tho.. hmm. in reply to GraafenBlackpaw 00:40:10, 2010-07-29
- @GraafenBlackpaw This will require some planning. And home-brewing. in reply to GraafenBlackpaw 00:41:47, 2010-07-29
- @GraafenBlackpaw Only been given one source so far. Mail-order, 10kg suckling, £90. Cheaper local source would be better. in reply to GraafenBlackpaw 00:48:46, 2010-07-29
- Note to self: ebay auction 160458028608. 00:49:23, 2010-07-29
- All this coffee is making my brain odd. 00:50:31, 2010-07-29
- Still awake. Still casting. 02:54:07, 2010-07-29
- Silicone's all cast, and caffeine withdrawal is hitting HARD. Time for shower and bed. 03:58:43, 2010-07-29
- Been out and collected the new bulbs from the sorting office. Very clean light! Not as bright as I expected, but may be an illusion. 14:11:53, 2010-07-29
- @ThoughtDemon Who's bullying you into being creative? :( in reply to ThoughtDemon 15:12:46, 2010-07-29
- New blog post: Making new photographic lamps http://www.sci-fi-fox.com/?p=289 17:44:32, 2010-07-29
- 23:19, turquoise in moulds. Too many items, too few timers. 23:12:01, 2010-07-29
- 23:58, pink felines, smalls and nose in moulds, plus spare pink canine ridge 23:50:54, 2010-07-29
- pink is for C2, turq is C3, new moulds for C4 still setting 23:51:54, 2010-07-29
One issue I’ve had with both taking photos of people and close-ups of items is the lack of light. A couple of small halogens really doesn’t cut it, so I’ve been thinking over affordable and adaptable replacements.
I picked up a couple of clip-on lamp holders cheaply from EFG Housewares, a wholesaler I use for some of my shop supplies. I wanted to get some simple reflectors for them, but couldn’t find any at a reasonable price online. Even simple one-piece pressed aluminium shades seem to carry excessive prices. So it was off to the 99p Shop in Walthamstow High Street, where I found a couple of suitably shallow 30cm cheapo stainless bowls.
I next borrowed one of my dads Q-Max sheet metal punches. They’re very nice and provide a clean hole in sheet metals very easily.
I used a 30mm punch, but really should have used a 28mm or so. I measured from the inside of the lamps collet, not the thread. Whoops. But that’s alright in the end. I used my home-made centre-finder to mark out the bowls. It finds centre well on circles, but I also forgot the pegs on it weren’t the same length, so on the bowls curves sides it skewed the centre. So the error on one was enough in the end to correct for the error on the other! There’s a lucky break, eh?
Next up, a 10mm hole is drilled so the bolt of the punch can go through. The bolt is tightened and pulls the cutter into the punch block from the other side of the metal.
Voilà! A nice clean hole! (can’t say the same about the bowl)
I took some burrs off with a hand file and did the other bowl to match, then took them back indoors to fit the lamp holders to them.
Next I ordered some energy-saving high-brightness “daylight” bulbs off ebay. It took a few more days and a trip to the sorting office, but I got them this morning.
They’re 36Watt (180Watt equivalent), rated at 2160 Lumens, an 8000Hr lifetime and a colour temperature of 6500! They’re also wide mushroom-shaped coils, so should give a fairly diffuse light with no harsh shadows.
And finally, fitting them they work perfectly. I was a bit worried the light would be too directional, but it’s both bright and pleasantly diffuse. I’m sure my opinion will refine the more I use them, but for the moment I’m pretty happy with the results!
(auto-exposure doesn’t like looking directly at them when they’re on)
Lamps – £1.65 each (Total £3.88 inc VAT)
Stainless bowls – 99p each (£1.98)
Lamps – £4.29 each (Total £12.06 inc Postage)
That’s about the same as for a single studio lampshade. A complete lamp runs to about £50.
- Finally showered. Had to fix the toilet seat first. It'd come clean off again. Why's no one else bothering to put it back? 01:28:35, 2010-07-28
- @retallicka Happy birthday Vicky! ^_^ in reply to retallicka 12:42:44, 2010-07-28
- @Pinkyfennec Things going slower than hoped, but should have new orders in by then, yes. in reply to Pinkyfennec 12:44:31, 2010-07-28
- Headache and sore back today. Looking at the to-do list. Guh. 15:13:06, 2010-07-28
- Trying to forge onward. Feeling crappy. >_o 15:50:19, 2010-07-28
- Not hurty now, just tired. 19:46:52, 2010-07-28
- That was odd. Hopped up on way too much coffee to counter tiredness. Revelation came to me sudden but smooth. 21:55:31, 2010-07-28
- Wonder who'd chip in for weekend camping with mead and whole suckling pig? 23:26:38, 2010-07-28