- The problem wasn't the hard-drive. I think it's the mainboard's SATA controller. 01:29:57, 2012-02-28
- 5 hours into a carefully crafted program of staged installation, it starts jamming up again. 01:31:16, 2012-02-28
- Jams on reboot. HD activity light only goes out after unplugging all the drives. Maybe just one channel perhaps. 01:32:24, 2012-02-28
- All the work of the last week has been an utter waste of time and money. 01:33:21, 2012-02-28
- Perhaps a PCI sata card would bypass it. Just enough space for one. 01:35:22, 2012-02-28
- I don't know. I need to sleep. Tomorrow will try and setup the CNC PC in the workshop as a longer-term stand-in. 01:36:36, 2012-02-28
- Okay, the machine for CNC has two SATA ports. Going to try sticking the old main drive in it. :/ 14:29:27, 2012-02-28
- Point being: am in the workshop today, but will be multitasking. Need to get access to my email archive back, with or without the main PC. 14:30:07, 2012-02-28
- Drive in CNC PC can be read. However booting from it stalls badly so drive seems indeed damaged. So HD *and* mainboard are shafted? 15:04:51, 2012-02-28
- @Scaley_Jencen Hmm, good point! Will run my tester on it later. in reply to Scaley_Jencen 15:53:30, 2012-02-28
- Okay, some calming time. Have accessed email archive. Debating what to do next regarding what drives to leave where. 22:00:37, 2012-02-28
- Okay, new HDD *seems* to be behaving itself in the CNC PC. Old main HD not detected now. 22:27:14, 2012-02-28
- Right. Will grab the essential files I need & keep the new drive installed as a secondary to ensure it works right. 22:34:05, 2012-02-28
- Apparently my old boot drive is still under warranty for another month!! 22:57:13, 2012-02-28
- If I were to return it though, since I can't boot it, I'd need to run it over a degausser first. 23:00:57, 2012-02-28
- New blog post: Doom and boom http://t.co/Zz0XcLX9 23:23:47, 2012-02-28
As mentioned on Twitter, I’ve had some computer trouble lately. And it now looks like not only my original boot drive is dead (gone from stalling to jamming up a different machine in POST), but my motherboard too (since it’s started acting the same with the new HD already!).
Current theories; SATA controller gone bad on one channel & damaged drive irreprably, or possibly (untested) PSU is failing & damaging random parts. Other drives are mercifully ok so far, as is replacement main disk now it’s in another machine. Still, keeping an eye on it.
I’ve spent a fair bit of today rebuilding the machine I had reserved for CNC use into a new workshop PC. I’m not going to bring it indoors because I want to feel like I’ve *gained* something in all this shit, rather than lost & partially clawed back. What I’ll gain is basically the ability to record from a webcam in the workshop. Not much of a thing, but it’s something that will be handy for my visible presence.
I will test the PSU indoors to see if it’s noticibly acting up, but I’m keeping my master storage drives disconnected from things until I have something I know’s stable or have a different backup arrangement.
Don’t chide me for keeping the wrong type or frequency of backups. I know I cocked up the last manual set I tried, and the reason it took a week from drive failure to installing a new one is because I was DAMN careful working out how to make my data innately more secure this time. Before my hardware let me down and threw the whole lot back into the skip of chaos where I have so much experience clawing my way along already.
Current plan is to grab the essential files off the drives, get things working again, back them up, then copy less essential files and do a staged set of tidying up.
Only small issue is there’s no printer down here. Old workshop machine may go indoors to be used just for printing receipts & stuff.
Things will be resolved when I can afford to replace the guts of the indoor machine, providing it’s not just the PSU.
- Cleared bed for sleeping. Someone join me in it. 00:03:51, 2012-02-26
- Have installed lightest Twitter client I could find. Is still glitching badly. Windows 2000 on a 15yr/o laptop. 00:08:16, 2012-02-26
- Tomorrow.. I shall make fritters! 00:19:38, 2012-02-26
- Brain crash sleep squirrels argh 00:27:47, 2012-02-26
- Drive tests complete. Now picking out some partitioning software. 11:36:55, 2012-02-26
- Feeling sad-panda. Did all 3 things intended to today. Tried to squeeze in a 4th thing & failed. 22:26:32, 2012-02-25
- Meet attended, @tinyteadragon met with, vac-furnace collected. Couldn't find @sleetfury to drop item off to. Hope she's ok, phone's off. 22:29:15, 2012-02-25
- @SleetFury It's not that, journey was fine. Was just sad not to say bye properly. Plus some worry over what'd happened to you. <:) in reply to SleetFury 22:58:01, 2012-02-25
- Down the workshop again. HDD test is at 40% after running overnight. Should be done by Saturday morning. No errors yet. 11:24:44, 2012-02-24
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist from @lapfox http://t.co/SFUYTUDk Truxton – Years of Aural Research Have 12:25:22, 2012-02-24
- I liked a @YouTube video from @lapfox http://t.co/SFUYTUDk Truxton – Years of Aural Research Have Provided This 12:26:33, 2012-02-24
- Virgin engineers were in the street today and now our house phone works properly! 12:43:27, 2012-02-24
- Thunderbird shouldn't delete local copies of emails if it's set to delete old ones from the server, should it? 14:30:37, 2012-02-24
- @jackalesque The credit score is based on how much others have been willing to lend you & your record in paying it back. in reply to jackalesque 15:31:57, 2012-02-24
- @jackalesque So unless you've been in debt to them and made regular payments back, won't improve your score. in reply to jackalesque 15:32:35, 2012-02-24
- @jackalesque Repaying in full also doesn't help as much as making rolling repayments IIRC. in reply to jackalesque 15:33:25, 2012-02-24
- @jackalesque Credit rating is "How much would we (bank) like to have this person as a customer (money source)?" in reply to jackalesque 15:40:08, 2012-02-24
- @aerix88 @jackalesque The "grinding" method is to get a credit card, use it for everything you'd use debit card for, pay back right away. in reply to aerix88 16:02:18, 2012-02-24
- @aerix88 @jackalesque Sadly requires much self control. One momment of "well, I can find the money in a few weeks" and it spirals. in reply to aerix88 16:02:56, 2012-02-24
- @jackalesque @aerix88 Yes, but one mistake and you end up in the debt spiral. in reply to jackalesque 16:03:26, 2012-02-24
- @jackalesque Everyone keeps talking about Credit Unions atm. Don't know much about them tho. in reply to jackalesque 16:07:19, 2012-02-24
- Okay, looks like if I delete a message from the mail server it won't mean Thunderbird deletes the copy it's already downloaded. 16:30:52, 2012-02-24
- Next mail concern; if I set only 1 machine to delete mail older than 30days on server, will it grab a copy of it before deleting it? 16:31:44, 2012-02-24
- I liked a @YouTube video http://t.co/AlbAr7cG Cassetteboy vs The News 16:41:58, 2012-02-24
- If you meet 5 of these 7 criteria, Cameron says you're a "neighbour from Hell". http://t.co/NzzOG6F0 16:59:35, 2012-02-24
- The criteria; No parent in work, or with qualifications, poor quality housing, mother (not father) with mental problems.. 17:02:15, 2012-02-24
- ..1 parent long-term ill/disability, low income, can't afford some food/clothing items. 17:03:13, 2012-02-24
- I cracked up when he flew away backwards. MCGamer.. away! (@YouTube http://t.co/XlEbq0mr) 18:22:09, 2012-02-24
- Just occurring to me.. why am I using this PC for net/video from the workshop when the CNC PC would be more powerful? 18:32:47, 2012-02-24
- Watched YouTube vid about reply/cleavage girl videos. Now wondering if there's a Japanese girl out there doing word-a-week vids for Scouse. 21:12:30, 2012-02-24
- I liked a @YouTube video http://t.co/IQWufCab Dear Reply Girls… 21:12:49, 2012-02-24
- @song_in_heart Sit down and a cup of tea I think! :( in reply to song_in_heart 21:27:16, 2012-02-24
- @TinyTeaDragon S'up hon? :( in reply to TinyTeaDragon 22:12:20, 2012-02-24
- @TinyTeaDragon *hugs anyway* Talk about it tomorrow if you want? in reply to TinyTeaDragon 22:26:07, 2012-02-24
- 10pm is not a good time to dismantle a milling machine. However it went well & I'm pretty sure I can mod it to a 200x200x400 machining area. 23:13:54, 2012-02-24